We’ve had some renewed interest in our book club since the events in Ferguson following Michael Brown’s death. Our list reflects that. I’m particularly looking forward to the discussion I’ll be leading on Fragmented by Design by E. Terrence Jones about the St. Louis area. St. Louis City is not part of St. Louis County and St. Louis County has 90 municipalities! Some of the problems in Ferguson and surrounding communities are rooted in our bizarre system of tiny governments attempting to deal with huge urban problems. I’m looking forward to learning how we got in this situation.
Here is our full book list for 2014-2015:
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
- House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Autobiography of a People by Herb Boyd
- Sundown Towns by James Loewen
- Dust Tracks on a Road by Zora Neale Hurston
- Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King
- South of Haunted Dreams by Eddie Harris
- Fragmented by Design by E. Terrence Jones
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
If you live in the St. Louis area and would like to join us for a discussion, send me an email (I’m on yahoo.com and use joyweesemoll as my username). I’ll send you the version of the list with dates and locations.