I did get up in the night and cheer a little more, so here are my final stats for Dewey’s Read-a-Thon:
Minutes read: 0. Total minutes: 275
Pages read: 0. Total pages: 223
Minutes spent cheering: 45. Total cheering minutes: 185
Pathetic, really, but I’m happy with the cheerleading number and I met the only goal that I set: get more than half-way through Never Been a Time by Harper Barnes.
- Which hour was most daunting for you? I didn’t work all that hard at it, so no dauntedness for me.
- Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I was surprised how general Never Been A Time was since it’s about a local race riot, but it puts it all in terrific context so anyone interested in the history of race issues in the United States will appreciate it.
- Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? No. I’m happy!
- What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? This was my first time as a cheerleader and that, plus the #readathon hashtag on Twitter, really made me feel part of a group effort. So much fun!
- How many books did you read? Parts of two.
- What were the names of the books you read? Never Been a Time by Harper Barnes and Ghouls Gone Wild by Victoria Laurie
- Which book did you enjoy most? They are completely different books and I liked them both for completely different reasons.
- Which did you enjoy least? N/A
- If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Forget the whole sign up for just an hour thing. I was glad that I started much earlier than my assigned hour to get through the As and Bs. Plus a 15 minute break to cheer every hour or two is a great way to feel involved throughout the day.
- How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Very likely and I liked being both a cheerleader and a reader, so I’ll probably do that again. I suppose some read-a-thon I should actually challenge myself to read a lot of hours, but this was fun!